Zi Rong's Personal Blog

Sunday, January 09, 2005

First week in JC

In a flash, the first week in JC is over.

The orientation week was fun, like the mass-dances and war games. But the first week was the most tiring period I've had since the December holidays. Now I really treasure the time I spent in New Zealand when everything was so calm, smooth and relaxing. Well, what can I do, life in Singapore is ever so hectic.

On the first day of orientation, I reported about 30mins late at the JC. I wasn't informed that the reporting time was pushed forward, maybe the JC contact system screwed up. So well, a student showed me the way to the hall where there were already hundreds of students seated and chit-chatting away. I'm the only one from my Secondary School to enter this JC, so I just sat quietly next to a few students from Victoria and Rivervalley High School.
After the staff introduction, I was a little shocked that we had to choose our subject combination on that day - the first day of school! It totally contradicted the emphasis that teachers put on wanting us to think through our subject combination decision, as it'll affect our future. But anyhow, I chose a suj combination.
Later there were talks by the principal and HODs. Lunch break and mass-dance followed later on. Everything ended at around 5pm and I reached home around 6pm... The journey home is long.

On the 2nd day, we were splitted up into our respective classes and ice-breaker games followed. From then on, the process of meeting new friends and introduction gone on properly. There was another mass-dance session again, it was totally fun! :D

3rd day, there were station games and mass-dance. My class lost several station games, but who cares about winning? Games are for fun! :D

4th day was the war games. It was house vs house. I was the defender and protected the "guardian angel". heh. We used water guns and water bombs to attack the opponents. It was real fun too.

Last day of orientation, we met our senior class. Then we went on a cultural mapping activity. We went around Bukit Timah in search of street names. There was this shooting range which I found very cool. It was run down and spoke of Singapore's history. Then at night, we had a dance fiesta and bbq. Everyone had a time of their life. Some danced on tables and benches, others danced to the beat of the music on the crowded grounds. I was so exhausted when I reached home.

Now I'm still deciding whether to stay on at NJC after the first 3 months (if my results allow). Next week will be start of the lectures and tutorials. I think I'll have to wait till then to have a taste of the true NJC life. I'm sure NJC isn't about fun and dance like we had during the orientation week. Besides, almost everyone in NJC are from top schools in Singapore. I'm currently the first student from my Sec School to enter NJC, and I'm sure there are reasons why students in the past do not want to enter NJC.
I've got friends in AJC, NYJC, SRJC, CJC and MJC (Meridian). I'll have to ask them for comments about their JC...

Till then, good luck to everyone!
If you guys have blogs, please tell me so that I can add you to my blog's link section.
Arrivederci!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home