Zi Rong's Personal Blog

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Work & first driving lesson

I had my first driving lesson last Sunday, it was at night and raining too. It's really cool to drive, especially a manual-gear car. I had lots of problems changing the gear smoothly, I hope I'll improve quickly during the next few lessons as driving classes are expensive! It's $67 during peak hours for 100 mins, sheeesh. Hopefully I won't spend over $2000 to learn driving. Driving schools in Singapore are really making huge money, my cousins in Malaysia spent only RM1500 to learn driving, more than half the price schools charge over here.

Work is becoming quite boring, probably cause I've to do the same things everyday. I worked from 8am-4pm everyday last week, and this week its 3pm-11pm. By the time I reach home, it'd be past midnight already. Besides, I need to change quickly after closing so that I won't miss the last train home. You'd think that working in the hotel line is fun, exciting and easy. However, reality is on the contrary. The full-time staff there have to work during weekends and public holidays, junior staff get about 10 days of annual leave only, while the most senior get 19 days. Even though they get 2 off days a week, they need to hit the 44 work-hours a week by working 9-10 hours a day. It's really exhausting. I don't know how much they earn though, it's a secret every worker keeps. By using economics, I'd suppose they earn more than 9-5 job workers as extra pay is given to compensate weekend/public holiday leisure time forgone, plus the long working hours. If not, why would people even consider working in this line?

After I started working, I begin to treasure off days and weekends, much more than during my school days. Now, I'm so looking forward to Chinese New Year, all the nice food and of course, red packets! It's still one month away though, and after CNY, the thought of my A level results will start to fill my mind everyday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home