Zi Rong's Personal Blog

Monday, March 13, 2006

NTU Economics Seminar

I attended this Econs seminar held by NTU for JC students and teachers today. It's the first time I've been to NTU, so it was really an eye-opener for me. Their lecture theatre is large and comfortable. At least the pull-up tables are twice the size of NYJC's. I think every JC sent students there, and it was really great to see students from all the JCs coming together for lectures, haha.

The seminar had several lectures on topics such as Rise of China, Special Roles of Prices in Singapore, Meaning of Competition and Exchange Rate System in Singapore. The lectures have definitely given me a greater insight into Economics at University level. Although one particular lecture about Gender and the Singapore Labour Market scared me with several mathematical and quantitative economics, I still enjoyed it a lot. Of course, there were a couple of lecturers who were boring, the others were alright. One lecturer said that Apple designed the Big Mac and had everyone laughing.

I have also learnt concepts which were not taught in class too. One of which is dynamic competition. In school, I learnt "competition" as a market structure, but the lecture on "Meaning of Competition" defined "competition" as to literally, compete by means of pushing down prices and coming up with quality products.

Although this seminar has given me greater interest in Economics, I still prefer aerospace engineering as I'm really interested in the aviation industry. It doesn't hurt to know Economics though as it plays a part in my everyday life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home