Zi Rong's Personal Blog

Sunday, May 15, 2005

SYFC Joyride and NJ College Day

The Singapore Youth Flying Club organised joyrides for all applicants, and I was one of them. Yesterday was my joyride appointment and I totally enjoyed it. I reported at the flying club at 2:30pm. There were 13 other applicants scheduled for the joyride too. We were then divided into 5 groups (A to E) for the ride. I was in group E together with another student from SRJC. We toured the flying club and visited the aeromodelling class, student lounge, cafeteria and VIP room.

At 4pm, we entered the Operations Room where we met our pilots. The pilots, who were also instructors, briefed us on the flight. In the Operations Room, there were two big whiteboards with names of all students currently taking the flying course. Mostly were from the top 5 JCs such as Hwa Chong, National, Victoria and Raffles JC. There were only two students from Nanyang JC, and also about 6 to 7 from ACJC, AJC, MJC, TPJC and CJC. The board recorded the progress of all students, and the instructor told us that only a handful could pass the basic course well enough to proceed on to the Private Pilot License (PPL) course.

We then proceeded on through security, and got to the hangers where the planes were parked. Each plane could seat 4 people, including the pilot. Before the flight, the pilot introduced to us the parts of the aeroplane such as the rudder, aloron and flaps. It was then time to board the plane. I buckled up and the pilot did several checks before starting the engine. The pilot communicated with air control and we took off. The plane flew over Woodlands, Bukit Timah, Sentosa, Jurong Islands and Marina Bay. I got to see the causeway, parts of Johor Bahru, Merlion, Singapore Sports School, Tenggah and Paya Lebar airstrips and many other landmarks. The experience was great! The plane landed at about 5pm.

I then took a bus to NJC for the food fair and concert. It was great to be able to see the college I studied in, and all my previous classmates, friends and teachers again. I was so glad that everyone remembered me. Their stall sold toast bread, nuggets and fishfingers. Other stalls sold drinks, nachos, marshmallows, pies, satay, burgers and many more. The drink stalls were especially crowded. I met Hemma who was the only Deyian studying in NJ. I was also surprised to see Roxanne there too. I also met my econs and maths teachers, and I was glad that they still remembered me... I went up to the hall for the band performance. The performance was great! NJC's band clinched Gold w Honours at this year's SYF competition.

At about 8:30pm, I left together we a few of my friends. Yesterday was definitely a very memorable Saturday I had. The SYFC joyride was mesmerising, and being able to visit my friends at NJC was a rare opportunity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home