Zi Rong's Personal Blog

Sunday, December 04, 2005

A long train ride and a broken bus...

I went to Wilson's house at Choa Chu Kang today where they organised a TRP gathering. Only 6 of us turned up as the rest could not make it. I took a bus from my place to Ang Mo Kio and then changed to the North-South Line and took it all the way to Choa Chu Kang. The entire journey took up about 50 mins of my time. I always wondered if there's a shorter route on Singapore's world-class transport system to get from one end of the island to the other. To my disappointment, there're currently no such methods. I used the "route planner" feature on SBSTransit's website and see what they can do about it. The planner suggested an even longer route that takes 97 mins. Woah! I suppose when the circle line is ready, that is 5 years from now, I'll be able to get myself from Hougang to Boon Lay in under 30 mins (hopefully!). Now, I'll have to stick with the long train ride...

When I reached Wilson's place, they were watching my favourite comedy series, Friends!! :D And wow, his house had a projector that flashed the image on the wall. It's probably 50" large or so. We laughed our heads off. Later, they switched to watching Spirited Away. I didn't really enjoy it as I don't like watching animes (or animated movies). I've never watched a single episode of Naruto or Slam Dunk before. We played mahjong and watched the anime at the same time. We could have bowling but Wilson said the bowling alley at his condo was fully booked... So well, we stayed in the house the whole time. It was quite enjoyable though with everyone joking and chit-chatting. We left at around 6pm and I took a train back to Ang Mo Kio and switched to a bus.

I boarded the bus, owned by Singapore's world-class cum monopoly (or duopoly if you want to consider TransIsland) transport company SBS Transit. I tapped my eZ-link card on the multi-million dollar electronic ticketing system and sat down. The next thing I knew, the bus engine failed. The driver restarted it and continued its journey. Everytime the bus slowed down or stopped at a bus-stop, the engine failed. This happened for the next 7 bus-stops when I finally alighted at my stop. This bus still has a very long journey to travel before it terminates at Changi. The driver will have to keep restarting the engine and the passengers wasting precious seconds which adds up to minutes each time the engine fails. I have noticed that many SBS Transit buses are run-down. I only occasionally see the new models of buses on the road, but thats really rare. I hope SBS will upgrade all the buses with the millions of dollars of profits they have. I'm sure with the fare hikes and the annual profit growth, SBS can do better than what they are offering now. Blerh~

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home